Welcome to Tacket Wood House
Tacket Wood House Overview
Tacket Wood House is a truly iconic Georgian property that has sat elegantly on the waterfront of the Salcombe-Kingsbridge estuary for two centuries. This stunning home offers a true taste of luxury with a unique blend of Swallows and Amazons adventure plus a dash of sunset tranquillity.
It is also an easy 10 minute walk into central Kingsbridge along public footpaths, where there is a cinema, many independent shops and restaurants and markets and a 5 minute walk to Kingsbridge Leisure Centre with its 25 metre main pool and separate learner pool.
The house was originally built in 1823 for the manager of a long disused slate quarry behind Tacket Wood, and is instantly recognisable by a huge Macrocarpa tree near the waterfront that can be seen in photographs dating back to 1882. Having recently undergone an extensive rebuild and sympathetic extension which was completed in 2022, the house blends all mod-cons with sumptuous interior design and generous proportions in every room.
The large entrance hallway leads to a vast open plan kitchen equipped with Susie Watson china and furniture together with top of the range Miele appliances. It includes an electric AGA, induction hob and double ovens with combi microwave. The bright dining area under a stunning roof lantern lends itself to happy breakfasts right through to long and sociable evening meals.
The smart drawing room with log burner and glorious views over the estuary is a perfect place for socialising in the evening, or a place to quietly read a book in the daytime. The captivating creekside views burst through the beautiful sash windows with original Georgian shutters.
Across the stair hallway you will find the second sitting room where a large TV and open fireplace provides total relaxation in the evening. The desk in front of the window is a wonderful spot for work as long as you are able to ignore the stunning floor to ceiling views over the garden and across the water through another tall sash window with original shutters.
The ground floor is also home to a shower room, utility area and pretty twin bedroom with its own Gothic door outside; perfect for those who prefer to avoid walking up stairs.
The original Georgian staircase up to the second floor reveals jaw-dropping bedrooms adorned with sumptuous Susie Watson fabrics, curvaceous headboards and Vi-Spring mattresses throughout. On the easterly side of the house there is a master bedroom (with en suite shower room) that opens out onto a private balcony with panoramic views stretching from the gardens and ever-changing waterway beyond, to meadows and copses to the west. Also on this side of the house is a twin bedroom and wonderful family bathroom. Take this opportunity to truly relax and enjoy a warm bath as you gaze out the window, soaking up the sights of the action on the Kingsbridge estuary.
Across the landing is a second twin bedroom, plus a large super kingsize bedroom with double aspect views and en suite shower room. From here you can have a cup of tea in bed whilst watching the sheep meander in the field across the lane – or count them at night if you’re having trouble sleeping!
Outside, the children will make the most of the gorgeous garden for hide and seek or even a teddybears picnic or maybe crab fishing off the private quay at high tide, or simply walk down to the private shingle beach to paddle and explore the foreshore at low tide.
When you’re ready for action, you can be picked up from across the estuary for a paddle boarding lesson. Or if you’ve your own boat, there is a private running mooring for your RIB or launch, with tender mooring available on a sliding mooring alongside a solid ladder on the sea wall. Salcombe, South Pool and the beaches are an easy half-tide boat ride away, avoiding all the traffic and crowds. Or at high tide, simply enjoy jumping off the wall into the sea for a very refreshing experience.
This really is a truly wonderful home in a prime and unique waterfront location and picturesque setting. Book your stay in Tacket Wood House and prepare to be immersed in the beautiful land and seascapes of Kingsbridge.
At low tide the unfenced drop from the sea wall is 3m. Young children must be accompanied at all times.
Smoking not allowed inside.
Two well-behaved dogs who are at least 2 years old are allowed in the house subject to the owner’s discretion at an additional charge per dog. These must stay strictly downstairs and off furniture.
Please note that a gardener will be working on Friday mornings and may need to attend at other times by prior arrangement. We are assured that no noisy machinery will be used while guests are in residence.
The running mooring suitable for boats up to 6m in length. Harbour dues must be arranged via the Salcombe Harbour Authority as usual. The wide Kingsbridge launching ramp is only 200m away as the crow flies, and Wills Marine (for example) can help with trailer storage as necessary.
- Pretty lobby leading to a large entrance hallway with pegs for coats and bench
- Spacious open plan kitchen and dining area leading out onto a wide terrace with outdoor dining and garden beyond
- Drawing room with estuary views, comfortable seating and wood burner
- Second sitting room with estuary views, wall mounted SmartTV, open fireplace and desk
- Utility room (with washing machine, tumble dryer and hanging area) leading to a twin bedroom having its own outside access and estuary views.
- Shower room (shower, sink, WC)
- Cloakroom (sink, WC)
- Super kingsize double aspect bedroom and en suite shower room (shower, basin, WC). Doors leading out to private balcony with stunning estuary and hillside views
- Super kingsize double aspect bedroom with en suite shower room (shower, basin, WC) and glorious views over the water and fields.
- Twin bedroom (with zip and link beds) with distant estuary and town views.
- Family shower room (shower, sink, WC)
- Twin bedroom (with zip and link beds)with superb estuary views.
- Family bathroom with unique water views (bath, sink, WC)
- Large landscaped gardens with three lawned areas and incredible direct water frontage
- Gated access from garden down to privately owned shingle beach
- Sea wall with ladder and sliding mooring for tenders/visitors
- Running mooring
- Comfortable outdoor furniture
- Romantic vine-filled greenhouse
- Atmospheric courtyard with bird bath, fig tree and string lighting.
- Free WiFi throughout with full fibre broadband (FTTP)
- AGA in the kitchen (electric so easily switched on and off)
- Miele double oven (combination microwave and convection)
- Miele induction hob
- Miele drinks fridge with two separate compartments
- Samsung fridge freezer with ice maker and chilled filtered water
- Nespresso machine
- Sonos sound system in kitchen
- Underfloor heating throughout with separately controlled thermostats in every room
- Miele washing machine and separate tumble dryer in utility room
- Susie Watson China and Le Creuset non-stick saucepans
- LG OLED SmartTV in sitting room
- Hairdryers in each bedroom
- Four spaces (two more possible with care)
- Running mooring
- Sea wall with ladder and sliding tender/visitor mooring
- Shingle beach (private above Mean High Water)
- Comfortable outdoor seating on sun terrace and in the garden
- Charcoal barbecue on lookout area
- Viewing platform by waterfront
- Large private gardens with three separate lawned areas
- 2 x Super King
- 2 x Super King that can also be twin
- 1 x Twin
Friday for peak periods, flexibility at other times and for short breaks
Arrival and Departure
Arrival from 4:00pm, departure by 10am
Nespresso machine (takes Virtuo capsules)
Upload Speed: 26.73 Mb/s
Download Speed: 67.61 Mb/s
Last checked on 25/01/2023
High quality bed linen supplied and changed weekly
The White Company toiletries provided
Each guest has one hand towel and one bath sheet
Yes, two well-behaved dogs over 2 years accepted, charged at £45 per week per dog.
Click here for information
EV Charging Locations
Refundable Security Deposit
- Garden with lawn and outside furniture leading down to the water (please note this is not fenced off for young children)
- Access to foreshore
- Hair dryer available
- Running mooring for boat up to 6 metres (normal Harbour dues apply)
- Further patio area with outside dining area
- Gas BBQ
- Separate utility room with ironing board and iron
- Parking for two cars
- This property cannot accommodate stair gates.
- Travel Cot and High Chair both available.
Make An Enquiry
Tacket Wood House offers you...
Let me entertain you
Great entertaining spaces to enjoy socialising with your friends and family
Glorious estuary views
Enjoy the ever changing vistas from around the house and garden
Woofers very welcome
Tacket Wood House welcomes four-legged friends
Stunning waterfront position
Sitting elegantly on the Salcombe-Kingsbridge estuary
Explore the glorious gardens
A beautiful sheltered garden with quiet corners to read or host a teddy bears picnic
Privacy and seclusion
Tucked along a private lane and nestled along the banks of the estuary
Tacket Wood House Location
Get in touch
Our Finest Stays specialists are available everyday to answer all your booking enquiries.