Dartmouth to Greenway
Circular walking following part of the Dart Valley Trail
9.7 miles (15.6 km)
Start at Mayor’s Avenue car park, Dartmouth TQ6 9NF
Take a walk on the wildside from Dartmouth to Greenway – look out for herons, seals, wading birds on the river and, if you’re lucky you may even spot a roe deer or two!
This challenging trail incorporates part of the beautiful Dart Valley Trail, following the River Dart from Dartmouth, along the creeks and river banks. Why not make the most of this walk and take time out to visit The National Trust’s Greenway House and Garden. This is the former holiday home of Agatha Christie, a stunning Georgian property with 1950s interiors and beautiful gardens stretching down to the banks of the River Dart. Wander through the winding paths to the pretty boathouse for a moment or quiet solitude. You can almost feel her stories come to life around you, after all, this is the scene of the crime in Christie’s mystery Dead Man’s Folly! The estate also has an excellent cafe which serves up delicious cheese scones as well as cream teas.
- Start Mayor’s Avenue car park, Dartmouth. Distance 9.7 miles ( 8.7 using alternative inland route) – Circular Walk
- From the Mayor’s Avenue car park, walk towards the river and turn right past the Station Restaurant onto the pontoon for the passengers ferry to Kingswear.
- When you’ve crossed the river, turn left and walk until you reach the village shop, take the left turn opposite the stores. Take the footbridge over the railway and follow the footpath alongside the railway line. This is the line for the Dartmouth Steam Railway which looks very impressive in all its glory. Get the timings right and you may catch a glimpse of the steam train chuntering along the tracks
- Reaching the slipway by the higher ferry, turn right and cross over the level crossing, walking up beyond the public toilets, bear right along the ramp and up the steps into the woods.
- Take a left turn signposted Greenway Ferry and Maypool and walk until you reach the main road. Follow the footpath opposite and turn left down a few steps into the woods. At the tarmac drive take the footpath opposite and to the right which takes you into Long Wood.and follow the track which runs above the river. Keep going until it curves uphill to the right. Then turn left along the terrace path. (Having reached Greenway, if you don’t fancy walking back to Dartmouth, hop on the Greenway Passenger Ferry which will take you back across the River and into the town.)
- After a pretty steep climb, take a left turn and climb over the stile following the path. Part way down the hill, cross into the field on the right, jump over another stile and follow the hedge downwards.
- Turn left out of the field and follow the sign for Greenway Gardens ¾m. Go through the gate and follow the track down track past the houses. On reaching the road, take a left turn.
- Go through the gate. When you reach a bench (relax a while) then turn right through another gate and walk over the brow of the hill, bear left and follow the edge of the field downwards until you reach Greenway Drive, turn right.
- Turn left at the lodge house and walk down the road to the quay. Catch the ferry and cross the river.
- From the ferry, walk up the road in the Dittisham direction for 350m then take a left turn onto Rectory Lane.
- Follow the lane for 250m then turn right onto a public footpath. Walk for 100m and turn left over a stile and follow the footpath along the edge of the field.
- When you reach the road, turn left. Walk for 250m then turn left again and follow the ‘Permissive Path – Old Mill Creek’. Follow the track and then follow the waymarkers along the edges of the field.
- Turn left where the path meets a green lane. After 200m, take a right turn and follow the path down to the river. After crossing a stile cut diagonally down across the next field, and through the woods.
- Continue down to the bottom of the steps, turning left onto another track.
- Cross the bridge at Old Mill Creek and follow the road up out of the valley until you reach the T-junction in Townstal.
- Take a right turn onto Archway Drive then take the first turning on the left onto Townstal Crescent.
- Cross the main road at the pedestrian crossing then turn left to walk down the hill, then take the first turning on the right onto Church Road, continue down the hill.
- Cross over the next junction and head down onto Mount Boone then take the right fork down Townstal Hill. Turn right and walk down the steps at Brown’s Hill, keep left then when you reach the bottom walk towards the church tower along Foss Street. Take a left hand turn when you reach the road. Head across the road into the Royal Avenue Gardens and bear left on into the car park.
- Download pdf with map and directions here